Thursday 27 March 2008

Continuing Chapter. One

I'm sorry this is short, but I haven't been feeling too well and this was the most I could manage this time around.


Granny and Grandad settled down and opened a boarding house in Eton Square, Victoria, London. They still had good connection with America and so, many rich Americans stayed with them including, according to Aunty Sissie, the Vanderbilts.
One of their ambitions was to own a country club in Canada, and that became their next venture. Mummy’s younger sister Frederica (my Aunty Sissie) was born in Canada. She was named after her father Frederick, but Mummy always called her Sis and the name Sissie stuck, at last with our side of the family. Her husband George and all his family always called her Freddie,
When Sissie was three months old, Grandad had to go away on business, leaving Granny and their two little girls (our mum and aunty Sis) alone. The snow was very deep reaching the windowsills, and there were no other houses, nothing but trees for miles around. Two large bears came to the cabin door and started scratching to get in.
Granny, who was only four feet eleven inches tall, dragged all the heavy furniture she could handle, and piled it up against he door. When help finally came, the bear’s claws had almost gone through the door! Soon after this, Granny and Grandad decided to take their two little girls to America where it would be safer.
Once in the States, Grandfather Fordham found himself a job in the film industry as an actor. I don’t know exactly how that came about; perhaps it was the novelty of him being English. During this period of time, my mother and aunt were engaged by the studio to appear in crown scenes.
They both appeared in a silent movie epic. I can’t remember now if it was ‘Birth of a Nation’ or ‘Ben Hur’ but it was certainly one or the other. In one particular scene the two children, accompanied by my grandmother, were up on a balcony cheering and waving to the soldiers as they marched past. Aunty Sissie didn’t want to do this, and was throwing a tantrum, screaming and flaying her arms about. At the end of the shoot the Director complimented her on her fine acting and show of jubilance! However, it was my mother who caught he director’s eye, and she went on to appear in several movies, mostly with Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks Snr.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 27 March 2008 at 17:02 , Blogger Babs (Beetle) said...

They never did open the country club in Canada then? They certainly did travel about though :O)

 
At 28 March 2008 at 01:20 , Blogger GoldAnne said...

Is Eton square ,,the one they had --upstairs downstairs tv series?
This is so very interesting Leeta ,thankyou xxx

Do hope you feel better soon
love anne xxx

 
At 28 March 2008 at 10:00 , Blogger granny grimble said...

Yes that right Anne. The very same I believe!

 
At 11 April 2008 at 06:37 , Blogger weechuff said...

What an interesting blog. I am learning a lot of things that I wasn't aware of:0)

 
At 18 April 2008 at 11:27 , Blogger weechuff said...

I hope you will soon feel well enough to continue this story:0)

 
At 5 April 2009 at 21:15 , Blogger Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I just found you and enjoyed reading yur stories. I am so sorry you are not feeling well...m.

 
At 18 May 2009 at 20:05 , Blogger Sandi McBride said...

Your story telling holds me captive...you take care of yourself and feel better! I'm praying for you, because I'm selfish and I want to hear some more of the story! And because I care...
hugs
Sandi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home